House of X #2 is a mind bending experience that reshapes even what I thought about issue #1. It takes us further back in time for a look at how we got here. And when you’re finished reading, you have a whole new view of the X-Men past and present. The crazy thing is, we are just getting started. House of X #2 is only the second of 6 issues in this mini-series before 6 new X-Books are launched from it’s story.
Credits and Thoughts
Jonathan Hickman is the genius behind this new X-Men series. His story so far has been absolutely brilliant. He is bringing the X-Men Universe together in a coherent story with fresh looks at everything we knew. Pepe Larraz and Marte Gracia provide the art and colors. Without spoiling the issue here, the art gives you at least a brief look at all you’re favorite X-Men. The story is mainly focused on the young woman in the park and Xavier. Everything is drawn brilliantly and showcases different color schemes for different eras and different character design. If you’re even remotely an X-Men fan you have to pick this series up. I’m not even sure what printing they are on now but they did have some second printings at my LCS for issue #1.
I snagged the John Tyler Christopher variant action figure cover. So far I have the Storm action figure variant for House of X and the Cyclops variant cover for Powers of X. I’m pretty happy about that if you can’t tell. I’m going to attempt to get those variants each week but will see how it shakes out. I tried something similar with the head-shot variants on X-Men Red but I only managed to get a few before someone decided to add that variant to their pull list and the Shop only got one. 🙁
House of X – *SPOILERS*
If you are like me, you had no idea who the young woman was at the fair with Xavier in issue #1. But we now know for sure that this is Moira MacTaggert. Always thought to be a mutant, we now know that Moira is a mutant. Her mutant ability is reincarnation. With each reincarnation, she is able to recall all the information learned in her previous life while still in the womb. As of this time, Moira is on her 10th and possibly final life. I had a crazy theory after reading Powers of X that the whole story was kind of a time loop where everything just reset after everyone destroyed themselves. Turns out I was wrong, but not quite a wrong as I thought I’d be.
- Life One – This is Moira’s original life. She gets really sick at 13 when her powers manifest but is better the following day. After this, she grows older, has a family and dies peacefully in old age. She never knows she is a mutant until she is conceived for a second time.
- Life Two – Moira, unable to overcome the fact that she knows the man she married all too well, does not pursue a family in this life. Instead, she watches Xavier announce to the world he is a mutant and knows that she is one too. On her way to meet Xavier, the plane crashes killing all passengers.
- Life Three – This time Moira does meet Xavier while the are both attending Oxford. She in not impressed by his arrogance and parts ways to devote her life to understanding mutations. She works to develop a cure for mutants. Mystique, Destiny and the Brotherhood do not take kindly and attack the lab. Destiny informs Moira that she isn’t immortal and only has 10 or maybe 11 lives. She can also be destroyed if she dies before age 13. To make sure Moira never tries to cure mutants again, Mystique has Pyro burn her alive.
- Life Four – Moira and Xavier fall in love and start the Xavier School for Gifted Mutants. This goes as most people think of the X-Men. From the First Class to the development of Sentinels. She dies from a Sentinel attack as the humans will always try to exterminate the mutants.
- Life Five – Here, Moira is radicalized and opens her mind to Xavier at age 13 to speed progress along. Xavier creates the mutant city Faraway with giant walls to keep humans out. Yet again, Moira dies from an attack from the Trask Sentinels.
- Life Six – There is no date on life six. The timeline in the back of the issue and the mains story leave this life out. We have to assume either there is something special planned for what went on in this life.
- Life Seven – Moira tries to eradicate the Trask bloodline to stop the Sentinels from being created. Unfortunately, even with the Trask family out of the picture, someone else develops them and the war happens anyway.
- Life Eight – This life has Moira reject Xavier and join Magneto. They conquer America and establish the House of M. Magneto dies in the War of M and late Moira dies trying to escape from prison.
- Life Nine – Moira wakes Apocalypse in this time line. Apocalypse kills Magneto and Xavier and they together form the X-Men. The Apocalypse War begins and the time line in the back just continues on indefinitely. Moira has to die at some point to reset her life but no information is given after the war begins.
- Life Ten – This is where we are now. Moira meets Xavier at 17 and I’m guessing this is where they meet at the fair. The timeline in the back shows that they meet, but then she goes on to marry Joseph MacTaggert. She wins a Nobel Prize with the Muir Institute and gives birth to Proteus. Xavier and Moira later recruit Magneto, even though there is some sort of schism between them later. The Genocide at Genosha takes place here and House of X starts in year 52. As with the Apocalypse timeline, we get the indefinite arrows after the House of X starts.
I have no idea. From the revelation from Destiny, it looks like this could be the final life of Moira X. But if she gets this one right does she get another life beyond this? Is that 11th life where she dies before 13 and is finally able to rest? Also, what does Powers of X have to do with any of this? This is going to be an extremely fun 12 issues.
Support the Site
Remember, if you want to get caught up with some back issues, head over to mycomicshop.com and see what issues they have in stock. If you would rather read digital issues and not physical copies, ComiXology is the place to go. If you wish to support this site you can purchase something through the links in this site and we will receive a commission. Another way to support include giving a donation to our non-profit adoption fund. Thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment.